The day I became a Startup PR publicist was the day I gave up the simplicity of being able to say exactly what I do without people scratching their heads, looking at me blankly, and delivering the age-old question, “wait – so what do you do?”
Sure it would be easier just to say “I work in PR” or “I work in Marketing” but where is the fun in that? When I stumbled upon a wildly popular tumblr (#IWorkInPR) that was a favorite amongst others such as myself, I was suddenly inspired to offer an even closer look at a day in the life of a Startup PR publicist.
Chances are, if you’ve ever pitched TechCrunch or been sabotaged by a Google announcement – this post is for you.
11 Signs You Work in Startup PR
1. You’ve spent more hours of your life than you’re comfortable admitting trying to load a client’s app onto TestFlight.
2. Come hell or high water, you will understand what your client’s product does.
3. No matter how they may try to beat around the bush, everyone – yes, everyone – wants to be on TechCrunch.
4. When a Google or Apple announcement makes getting in touch with Oprah’s people easier than a tech journalist.
5. Buzzwords like “revolutionize,” “disrupt,” and “viral” are the bane of your existence. They also make for an excellent drinking game.
6. When an East Coast tech reporter breaks an embargo on your West Coast client’s launch day.
7. When an unknown competitor comes out of the woodwork and launches a nearly identical product mere days before your client is set to launch theirs.
8. Yes, I can totally get you on the cover of the New York Times next month.
9. Your ego is bruised for each time you’ve had to revise the same pitch or media release over and over and over.
10. Of course we can push the launch.
11. You’ve been rejected by reporters so many times – your therapist is concerned you’re beginning to confuse them with your exes.
Work in Startup PR? Got a great story, a pet peeve, or just a general observation guaranteed to make all of us Startup Publicists nod and smile? We’d love to hear about it in a comment below!